With Apple CarPlay, you can mirror your iPhone on your car’s infotainment screen. This revolutionary voice command system provides seamless access to streaming media, contacts and GPS information without taking your eyes off the road or your hands off the wheel. CarPlay works with iPhone 5 and newer devices that run iOS 5 or a newer operating system. If your car is compatible with Apple CarPlay or you’re thinking about having this system installed, learn how to get started with this easy setup guide.
First, start your vehicle’s engine and turn on Siri on your iPhone to start your Apple CarPlay setup. Connect your device to your car, either with a USB lightning cable or with Bluetooth. For the latter option, put your car’s stereo in Bluetooth mode. Then, navigate on your iPhone to Settings > General > CarPlay. Choose your vehicle from the menu. If you’re connecting your phone to the vehicle for the first time, go through the necessary steps on the screen to provide permission.
If you run into trouble, consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual for more information. Most 2019 and newer car models offer CarPlay, with some models featuring the system as early as 2015. Currently, the software is available in more than 500 different vehicles.
Practice Using Voice and Touch Commands
If you’re already familiar with using Siri on your iPhone, this part will be a breeze. To activate Siri on your car’s touchscreen, you have a few options:
- Touch and hold the CarPlay icon on your car’s touchscreen.
- Touch and hold the CarPlay dashboard.
- Press and hold your steering wheel’s voice command button.
After Siri responds, you can ask a question or provide instructions. For example, you can ask Siri to send a text or open the Podcasts app to play your favorite show. Look for a gas station on your route or make movie reservations for after work. Some of the coolest things you can do with Apple CarPlay include:
- Ask the local weather or the weather at your destination.
- Play a song, podcast or playlist.
- Find out if a restaurant or attraction is currently open.
- Dictate and send a text or email message to the recipient of your choice.
- Get directions to your destination.
- Call someone from your contacts.
- Share your estimated time of arrival with your contacts straight from the Apple Maps app.
- Turn on the Do Not Disturb feature so you do not receive calls, texts, and other notifications.
- Create a radio station by selecting from the three-dot menu in the Now Playing screen in Music.
- Use the Show Parked location.
- Place a phone call to an event-related contact directly from a Calendar appointment.
- Get real-time information about your travel arrangements with the Flight Status app.
- Create a list of favorite locations for seamless navigation in Maps.
Let Siri Learn From Your Habits
Once you begin using Apple CarPlay regularly, Siri will anticipate your next steps when you connect and put your most frequent apps at your fingertips. The software will suggest routes to work and remind you about appointments depending on your settings. Apple CarPlay can also interact with Apple HomeKit accessories, such as a garage door opener.
Customize Your Display
You can arrange your CarPlay display by adding and deleting apps. Click on Settings > General > CarPlay on your iPhone. Choose your car, then hit the Customize button. You can drag and drop to change the order of apps on your car’s screen or use the add and delete buttons as needed. Keep in mind that not every iPhone app works on CarPlay. Some of the popular apps you can use on your vehicle’s screen include:
- Google Play Music
- SiriusXM Radio
With the new dashboard, Apple introduced to CarPlay with the iOS 13 update. You can even run more than one app at a time on your screen and easily toggle back and forth between the two or split the screen. For example, you can have one side of the dashboard dedicated to Maps and the other to your music playlist. The push of a button lets you switch your dashboard view in seconds.
Even after you set up Apple CarPlay, you can easily return to the manufacturer’s infotainment system with the push of a button. For example, you can switch back to the car’s original navigation to access radio, climate control and other functions that are not available from within the Apple system.
Enjoy the Benefits of Apple CarPlay in Your Vehicle
If your vehicle doesn’t already come with Apple CarPlay, you can opt for an aftermarket touchscreen that supports this incredible program. Many drivers love having a consistent, user-friendly tech experience that translates from their tablet to their desktop, to their smartphone, and now even to their vehicle, boosting productivity and safety. You’ll find quality versions from respected manufacturers like Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, JVC and Clarion. Get connected today with an installation from Autohaus Automotive Solutions. Contact us today for your free installation quote.